freeglassart said: You may get asked this a lot, so please excuse my ignorance - but how do you go about constructing character expressions and body language and such? Thanks!
Besides The Basics (construction of heads and skulls and muscles and skeletons and how they move), I’ll go over some things I’ve been trying to work on myself lately:
1. Treat expressions as a single gesture of the face/head, as opposed to a head and then individual features dumped on a plate and arranged into an expression.
First, just get down the big shapes of your expression, just like you would for a pose.
So say I wanna do a low angle angry pose. I know the features are gonna be all mashed down at the bottom because of perspective.
Scribble it down
start to put on features
put on more stuff
fix stuff again
erasing and flipping and stuff a whole bunch until you are happy with it or stop caring
Whole head is a gesture!
2. Just like a facial expression, jot down where the important parts of an entire pose goes first. You can force the rest of the body to fit the pose.
So here I knew I wanted the shoulders tilted a certain direction, and te hand to be in that particular position in front of her face.
That’s the simplest explanation I got. Don’t be afraid to push and pull faces and bodies around! Worry about being “on model” last!
Hey ya’ll! I’m not much of a tutorial person, but this was a technique that I learned from Syuzuki, one of my favorite artists back in the day, when I was 13. I memorized the technique and it’s been one of the most useful things I can do on photoshop. This was something that really helped me, and I hope that it will be useful for even some of you.
In this tutorial, I will be going step by step how I take something from my sketchbook and color it on photoshop.
50 Songs; 50 Nicki Verses:
// MonsterKanye West // Love MoreChris Brown // LowJuicy J // I Ain’t ThruKeyshia Cole // Make Me Proud Drake // Out of My Mind B.o.B // Raining Men Rihanna // Up Out My Face (Remix) Mariah Carey // Get Like Me Nelly // Roger That Young Money // So Bad Cam’ron // Somebody Else Mario // Take it to the Head DJ Khaled // My Chick Bad Ludacris // Tapout Rich Gang // Woohoo Christina Aguilera // Tonight I’m Getting Over You (Remix) Carly Rae Jepsen // True Colors Wiz Khaifa // Up All Night Drake // Where Dem Girls At David Guetta // Bottoms Up Trey Songz // She Came to Give it to You Usher // Till the World Ends (Femme Fatale Remix) Britney Spears // Whip My Hair (Remix) Willow Smith // #twerkit Busta Rhymes // 5 Star Bitch (Remix) Yo Gotti // 2012 Jay Sean // All I Do is Win (Remix) DJ Khaled // Fireball Willow Smith // Bang Bang Jessie J // Beauty and a Beat Justin Bieber // Give Me All Your Luvin’ Madonna // Teqkilla (Remix) M.I.A. // Clappers Wale // Shakin’ it 4 Daddy Robin Thicke // Livin’ it Up Ciara // Dance (A$$) (Remix) Big Sean // I’m Out Ciara // Entertainment 2.0 Sean Paul // Flawless (Remix) Beyonce // I Luv Dem Strippers 2Chainz // Freaks French Montana // Get Low Waka Flocka Flame // Lil’ Freak Usher // the Creep the Lonely Island // Girl on Fire (Inferno Version) Alicia Keys // Dark Fantasy Kanye West // Hands Up Swizz Beatz // Born Stunna (Remix) Birdman // In My Head (Remix) Jason Derulo //
Greek/Roman Inspired Clothing: 2nd dress by Hana Touma, 3rd dress on ebay, 4th dress found here, 5th dress by Madame Gres ,6th dress by Kaufman Franco , 7th dress by J.Mendel, 8th dress by Madame Gres, 9th dress by Jean Desses, 10th dress by Marchesa, 11th dress by 33Jewls, 12th (last) dress by Samuelle Couture
Hello, you’ve reached Grantaire- if you meant to call me, leave your name and number, and if this is an accident, it’s fine, it happens, just never mention it again, if this is Enjolras, I love you. And also, I’ve embarrassed you on my voicemail, and there is nothing you can do. There will be a beep. That’s your cue. (x)
So you want to make an OC?: A Masterpost of Ways to Create, Develop, and Make Good OCs!
i made this masterpost in hopes that it helps you in making your own OCs ah;; it can also apply to developing RP characters i suppose! if you’d like to add more resources then go for it sugar pea (´ヮ`)!
How to Write Better OCs:
- basic tips on how to make your oc even better
- tragic backstory? learn how to write one/make yours great
- writing specific characters
- a wordier, great guide on how to develop your character
- kick out those vague descriptions and make them AWESOME
- how to actually make an OC
- Q&A (to develop characters)
- more Q&As
- giving your character a backstory
- how to write an attractive character
- adding more racial diversity
- avoiding tokenism, AKA, how to add diversity to your cast not just because you “need” it
- writing sexuality and gender expression (doesnt include non binary, if you have a good ref to that, please add on!)
- masterpost on writing more diversity into your story
- cultures of the world
- guides to drawing different ethnicities (not just a great art reference, but also really helpful in appearance descriptions!)
Mary Sue/Gary Stu
- Test to see if your character is a Sue
- Explains subdivisions of Sues/Stus
- Powerful Characters Don’t Have to Be Sues
- villain generator
- need an evil sounding name for your evil character? bam
- villain archetypes
- what’s your villain’s motive for being a villain?
- character perceptions (What your character thinks of themselves and what others think of them)
- how to write strong relationships between two characters
- 8 ways to write better characters and develop their relationships with others
- OCxLove Interest Handbook
- develop your couple with good ol’ Q&A!
- how to write realistic relationships
- how to write relatives for your characters (this is more OC related to a canon character, but will help in writing family members in general)
- 12 common archetypes
- 8 archetypes for male/female characters
- female archetypes (goes pretty indepth from two main categories)
- a list of archetypes
- tips for better design
- basic appearance generator
- pinterest board for character design (includes NSFW and images of skeletons/exposed muscle (?) so tread carefully!)
- clothing ref masterpost
- give your character better powers
- a list of professions
- proactive vs reactive characters
- positive and negative traits
- interest generator
- skills generator
- motivation generator
- 123 ideas for character flaws
- list of phobias
again, this is to help inspire you or help establish your OCs! i hope you get a lot of info and help from this ahh ( ´ ▽ ` )ﾉ